Monday, June 27, 2011

On Friday I went with some friends to Lake Ohrid in Macedonia. On the way we stopped in Skopje and did a little sight seeing. This included the new statue that has been erected there. For political reasons it is officially called the rider on a horse, but unofficially it is Alekasander the great. It is quite impressive.
I was in Orhid twice before, once for a few days in 1995 and a second time when I flew out of the airport there when the airport in Skopje was closed for runway resurfacing. We stayed in a nice hotel about 5km outside the city of Ohrid, with a beautiful view of the lake. On Saturday we climbed up Galicica mountain and then visited Ohrid city. On Sunday we went to Sveti Naum or Saint Naum. Inbetween I ran a 2 mile race ( which it turns out was 3000m ) and a 1 mile race up and down a hill the next day. I had a really great time and returned quite tired and sore to Belgrade on Sunday night. I had the opportunity to stay for 2 more days, but needed to get back to work this morning.

No comments: